Monday, January 18, 2010

Location Location Location

Lately, I've been reading alot about "Heavenly Focus". It seems like every study I pick up is dealing with it. Living with Heaven in view. Living with a "future focus". There are as many catchy phrases as there are study guides in the religious book stores. My question is this. With so many books...better yet...so many Biblical references calling us to be separate, to be pure, to be Holy........can it really be done? Is it possible to take it "too far"?

Pilippians says "let this mind be in you, (here is the scary part), which was also in Christ Jesus". My brain hurts to think about that statement...I am to have the mind of Christ. How? I've heard so many people say...well we can't ever be perfect, God knows that. I've heard others say that it is possible to be so Heavenly Minded that you're no earthly good. Is it really? I don't think so....not for me anyway. We really can't be holy as Christ is holy because of our sinnful nature. We won't be perfect until we're glorified. Although true, more often than not, we use that as an excuse. We use it to harbour sin in our lives. To squelcht the guilt of another failed attempt, or simply as a reason not to really try at all. We say thing like.."God knows my heart"...and move through our lives like that makes it all ok.

An old church song comes to mind. The world behind me...I am no longer bound by my sin. How can I who is dead to sin live in it any longer? The cross before me.....my focus, my mission is to live with Christ's sacrifice forever in my mind and His victory in my life. No turning back...no turning back. This is the Heavenly Focus. "For I determine not to know anything among you save Jesus Christ and Him Crucified" I Cor. 2:2.

I want to live with heaven in view. Just like the disciples I want others to know by simply hearing me speak that I have been with Jesus. I don't want to just read about being set apart and chosen, I want to be set apart and chosen.

"Take my life and let it be consecrated Lord to thee take my moments and my days let them flow in ceaseless praise let them flow in ceaseless praise."

1 comment:

Brantley said...

Marcie and I are reading Davey's book based off his sermons called "A Holy Obsession." They're pretty great and deal with being obsessed with righteousness. When they say "full of" it means like a sponge, saturated with water. I want to be saturated with goodness so when times get tough and life squeezes me, only goodness comes out.